100 Ways to Teach with Twitter

by Kelly Walsh on February 7, 2010

This handful of resources provide about 100 different ideas for, and examples of, using Twitter in the classroom.

It’s been almost 8 months since I published the post, “6 Examples of Using Twitter in the Classroom”, about uses of the popular micro-blogging tool in the instructional setting. This post generated a lot of traffic, and continues to attract hundreds of viewers every week.

TwitterLogoSince that brief posting, I’ve come across a lot of articles containing examples and suggestions for using Twitter in instructional applications. I’ve combed through many of these and tried to boil down the redundancies to create a rich set of idea-laden resources. While there’s still going to be some overlap in the concepts presented in these articles, they clearly meet the goal of providing a thorough set of ideas and examples for leveraging Twitter in the educational process. (I follow this new listing with the original set of articles cited in my June ’09 post).

I also want to mention these 100 Serious Twitter Tips for Academics, which are worth reviewing to learn more and plan your approach to using Twitter in (and out of) the classroom.

Here are the original “6 Examples” from last June’s post:

• I’ll start by providing links to two articles (here is one, and here is the another), about teacher Monica Rankin using Twitter in instructional application at the University of Texas at Dallas. These are a few of many stories about Professor Rankin’s efforts (this highly covered case is what really triggered my perception that there were a lot of articles about Twitter in the classroom in recent weeks).
  • Here is a video about Twitter (and other technologies) being used at Roosevelt HS in Minneapolis.
  • This article from The Chronicle of Higher Education discusses instructor Cole Camplese’s use of Twitter, streaming Tweets from students on screen during lectures, as part of the instructional process.
  • In this Vlog, Christine Morris explains how she experimented with the technology with her higher ed students, tapping into Tweetdeck to get the most out Twitter.
  • In this blog posting, David Silver explains how Twitter replaced three other technologies he was using in the classroom.
  • Last, but certainly not least, here is one of countless articles about Professor David Parry’s work with Twitter, from early 2008. This is the first Twitter in the classroom story that I came across and it has been discussed and posted about many times on the Internet.

In closing, I must thank the authors of the posts that I cite here - this article would obviously not exist without their previous hard work. I hope this posting raises awareness of their excellent efforts.

Related posts (if the above topic is of interest, you might want to check these out):
10 internet technologies that educators should be informed about
Education Technology Twitter Post Weekly Summaries
6 Examples of Using Twitter in the Classroom
—————————————————-

Using braindump, you will pass real test on first try. Get the latest mcts dumps and ccnp dumps to get guaranteed results in real exam.

About

Kelly Walsh is Chief Information Officer, and an adjunct faculty member, at The College of Westchester in White Plains, NY and is the founder and author of EmergingEdTech.com. As an education technology advocate, he frequently delivers presentations on a variety of related topics at schools and conferences across the U.S. Walsh is also an author, and online educator, periodically running Flipped Class Workshops online. His latest eBook, the Flipped Class Workshop in a Book was published in September, 2013 and is available here. In his spare time Walsh also writes, records, and performs original (and cover) songs (look for "K. Walsh" on iTunes or Amazon.com or check out his original song videos on here on YouTube ).

Print This Post Print This Post

{ 13 comments… read them below or add one }

Grandmother May 27, 2013 at 6:38 am

A wonderful blog.. I love your collection of links.Uses of twitter for classroom instructions will be fascinating to explore.

Anastasia Koltai November 3, 2012 at 1:10 pm

I believe that technology and social media in education motivates and help people. It is really changes the whole education system.

We also use social media in English language learning and teaching. And our students really enjoy the courses.

Best wishes from Hungary. :)

Tamica F. June 23, 2011 at 6:17 pm

I am intrigued by twitter and glad to have been introduced to it. I am convinced that twitter will be invaluable to me as I continue my graduate research. Also, the many of uses of twitter for classroom instruction will be interesting to explore.

www.emergingedtech.com May 9, 2011 at 1:28 pm

100 ways to teach with twitter.. Bully :)

K. Walsh March 5, 2011 at 8:33 am

Hi Ryan -

Thanks for commenting, and for your questions. I am not aware of limits on how many profiles you create, but they each need to have a unique name, and I believe each require a unique email address associated with them (although I should double check on that), which creates a sort of functional limit.

As for Twitter as a “snark valve”, in this blog post (http://www.samplereality.com/2009/10/07/twitter-is-a-snark-valve/), Professor Mark Sample explains that by referring to Twitter as a snark valve, he means that it is sometimes used by his students for, “writing sarcastic, irreverent comments about the readings or my teaching”. “Snarky” means to find fault with, hence “snark valve” implies an outlet for snarky comments.

I hope you’ll stop back and comment in the future and let us know more about your experiences with technologies in the classroom as you work them!

Ryan King March 4, 2011 at 5:45 pm

I am currently a student teacher and I think it is amazing to consider all of the changes that have happened in education even since I left high school eight years ago.

As I am finishing up my fieldwork, I am discovering the huge importance of ‘withitness’ and I think that using web applications like twitter as instructional tools would be an excellent way to establish withitness and teach responsible online presence to our students.

Two questions:
1. Does twitter have regulations on the number of profiles you can create?
2. What is a ‘snark valve?’

John Kleeman September 16, 2010 at 2:35 pm

Another way to use Twitter, which I think is not in your 100. Questions stimulate the brain to retain information, so asking questions on things you’ve taught helps people learn. So post some questions on twitter and just by thinking about them, it will help your students retain information. See http://blog.questionmark.com/using-twitter-to-help-learners-retain-knowledge for more.

Sharyn Owen July 24, 2010 at 12:19 am

Hey I really liked the 2nd link – the one to 10 great ideas – thanks heaps for the links

Kelli Marshall March 3, 2010 at 5:40 pm

Hello. What a nice collection of links. Thanks! If you’re interested, here are two more from my experiences using Twitter (and Facebook) in the classroom:

Twitter and Facebook in the College Classroom:

Tweeting (and Facebooking) for Textbooks:

Mark Sample March 3, 2010 at 1:34 pm

One of the surprising uses I’ve found for Twitter in my own university classroom is as a snark valve — which is a lot more pedagogically promising than it sounds!

Jane Hart February 19, 2010 at 5:50 am

You might like to add my Guide to 140 Learning: How to use Twitter, Facebook and Google Buzz for Social Learning – http://www.c4lpt.co.uk/140Learning/index.html -

Carol February 8, 2010 at 12:46 pm

I would not believe people use twitter for teaching if I did not see it here. I will give it a look.

Alena February 7, 2010 at 11:52 pm