A handful ofÂ websites and resources for Music EducatorsÂ interested in leveraging education technology in the instructional process.
Last night I had the pleasure of attending the opening concert of the 2010 tour for progressive rock music legends Yes. Motivated by the wonderful performances of these experienced and inspiring musicians, I decided that this week's mid-week post would focus on Education Technology specific to Music Education. I poked around the Internet and found a handful of useful looking sites and resources focused on this topic, and I share and briefly summarize them below.
I'd love to hear from readers about similar resources, or intriguing Music Education Technology applications they might be aware of, so please share if you have something to offer. Thanks!
- Music Education Technology Network (http://musiceducationtechnology.ning.com/): This is a Ning based social networkÂ focused onÂ technology as a tool in music education, started last August by Miikka Salavuo.Â Click here to readÂ a post explaining the purpose/goals of the site.
- Strategies for Music Education (http://www.teachervision.fen.com/music/resource/5363.html): This page on the Teacher Vision web site has a great listing of “Technology Stategies” that focus on the National Standards forÂ Music Education, and a good deal more.
- Technology Institute for Music Education (http://www.ti-me.org/): This is a site with some free resources, with more available through paid membership (ar $40/yr.). They have an annual Conference (this year's is Feb 18-20 in NJP),Â they offer workshops, and they have a nice listing of publications and resources.
- Kelly's Music & Computers – Using Technology in Music Education (http://kellysmusicandcomputers.com/education.htm): (First, allow me to clarify that this Kelly is not me!). Kelly's Computers and Music appears to sell music education related technology, but the page I have shown here is a collection of articles that look like they may be informative to the music educator. The site also offers newsletters and other resources.
- Technology in Music Education Blog (http://techinmusiced.wordpress.com/): This blog by Christopher J. Russell has a bunch of articles about iPhone music ed apps and more. I thought it was worth a look.
As I mentioned above, if you know of other useful sites in this realm, please comment and let us know about them. In the meanwhile, click play for the video below of Yes playing Roundabout and turn up the volume!