What Role can Live Streaming Play in Education?
Live streaming is trending on the internet. Many large enterprises are interested in using live streaming to improve their services. Social media platforms are investing a lot of money to incorporate the live streaming feature. The mass utilization of live streaming is just the beginning, and there is plenty of growth left in this segment.
There are other use cases for live streaming. Many platforms are using livestreaming as a medium to reach their target audience. One of the unique platforms that have an educational intent and is completely based on livestreaming is “LiveEdu.tv.” Liveedu.tv is a live project-based learning platform for people to improve their technical job skills in multiple fields, such as Programming, Artificial Intelligence, etc.
We all know how technology plays a significant role in education. Live streaming acts as a tool to provide education for all age groups.
It is clear that there are multiple benefits and opportunities of using live streaming and we will cover them in this article.
Below are some educational benefits and opportunities of Livestreaming.
Benefits of live streaming
- Live Interactive Experience: The biggest advantage of live streaming is the ability for students to have a live interactive experience. For example, LiveEdu.tv offers opportunities to both teachers and students to be part of a larger community.
Christopher Wolfram is explaining the code behind the movie, “Arrival.” He is continuously interacting with the audience and providing them with an interactive experience about the code used in the film named, “Arrival.”
- Better Learning Experience: Learning from live streams is an entirely different experience compared to traditional classes. Traditional classes are not always the best environment as the teacher cannot really focus on every student. Livestreams or recorded video offer students an opportunity to revisit the lessons at their own convenience. Clearly, that’s an advantage to the students to reinforce concepts. Cisco’s research on video learning also gives the same outlook as more than 65% of the teachers agree that it helps students.
- Real-time and On-demand Live Streaming: With the improvement in almost all sectors, there is a huge demand for new topics that need to be covered. Live streaming enables educational institutes and platforms to provide real-time on-demand content to the audience. This enables anyone to get access to cutting-edge learning material and help them grow.
- Accessibility: Accessibility has been one of the biggest benefits of live streaming. Anyone who has proper connection can connect and become a part of the community. There are no hard rules to adhere to when watching the livestreams. Remote areas also get the benefit of livestreaming.
- Learning about Viewers: Online learning and live streaming has been made possible due to the advancement in technology. The same technology also helps educators understand the students and their learning patterns. Educators can also study students learning habits. This way, they can build courses and cater to each student's learning habits. You can read “the study” by the University of Maryland to know more about patterns that can be learned about students.
Opportunities of live streaming
Now that we have learned about the benefits of live streaming/video learning, in general, let’s dive deep into the opportunities of live streaming.
- Reaching a Diverse Learner Base: With livestreaming, any institute can reach a diverse audience. For example, institutes, such as Stanford University have their online platform for anyone to access. Anyone with the urge to learn can go and take the courses offered by them. Even though most of the courses are not strictly livestreamed, but they do provide the same purpose, i.e., educating.
- Educators can Earn more Money: Educators can use livestreaming to help other students. Multiple educational live streaming platforms offer an opportunity for teachers to earn extra cash. For example, LiveEdu, SkillShare, and other platforms are a good starting point.
- Platforms can Use live streaming as a Marketing Tool: In the current market, educational institutes are competing among themselves to grab the best talent. By livestreaming their courses, they are not only helping their current student base but also indirectly marketing their educational institute to the aspiring students.
- Live streaming Enables Educators to Record their Lectures: Lectures don’t need to be always repeated. Livestreaming provides educators with an opportunity to record their session and use it later. They can also distribute the recording on YouTube or get paid by platforms, such as Udemy, LiveEdu, etc. Doing so enables them to earn more money or get acknowledgment about their work.
- Community-driven Learning: Community driven learning has always been there on the internet.Platforms such as StackOverflow heavily use community-driven learning. Livestreaming also enables a community driven approach that can be extremely important. Broadcasters and learners can engage in a community-driven learning and also earn at the same time.
Live streaming is only in its infant stage. It will grow big in the future, enabling millions of learners to engage in meaningful learning. With growing usage of live streaming, education will become more accessible, meaningful and impactful in areas never seen before.
What do you think about the educational benefits and opportunities of live streaming? Let us know in the comments section below.