Creative Commons Licensed Image source: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File%3ABubble_3.jpg
Don't Let the “Summer Slide” Dull Those School Skills!
This time of year I get a lot of requests for resources to help students keep up their school skills over the long summer months. I searched the web for the best resources, tips, and techniques I could find. I focused on free resources to help keep it, well … free :). These resources cover a range of academic subjects and skills.
- The CK-12 BrainFlex “challenge” can help student keep Math and Science skills toned over the summer.
- This set of Summer Learning Activities from About Parenting offers ideas for Math, English, and Science skills.
- Dr. Gail Gross offersÂ 12 Fun Ways to Help Prevent Summer Learning Loss on the Huffington Post.
- The “Understood Community” offer this video about Keeping Reading Skills Sharp Over the Summer.
- This PDF from Lake Forest College offers lots of suggestions for keeping up on reading, writing, and oral communications.
- “Inspiring Moms” explore “How do you keep your kidsâ€™ math and reading skills sharp over the summer?” in this article.
- HomeSchoolMath.net offers this rich web page of resources, videos, and tips for “Keeping Your Math Skills Sharp Over The Summer”.
- Kudos to the The Alabama State Department of Education for putting together this 2015 Summer Learning Challenge
- LumosLearning offers 7 Simple Steps to Prevent Summer Learning Loss
- 5 Tips for Preventing Summer Learning Loss for Childen With Special Needs from Friendshipcircle may date back to 2012, but the ideas are as relevant today as they were a few years back.
- How to Keep Your Child on Track During Summer Break from HuntingtonHelps offers useful facts and tips.
- Federal Way Public Schools offers this list of resources for Student Learning and Practice.
- “Teach. Learn. Grow.” provides 8 Resources to Prevent Summer Learning Loss
Hope these are a help to parents and teachers everywhere! Of course, we'd love to hear about resources that you find useful, so please don't hesitate to drop a comment and share!