This handful of resources provide about 100 different ideas for, and examples of, usingÂ Twitter in the classroom.
It's been almost 8 months since I published the post,Â “6 Examples of Using Twitter in the Classroom”, about uses of the popular micro-blogging tool in the instructionalÂ setting. This postÂ generated a lot of traffic, and continues to attract hundreds of viewers every week.
SinceÂ thatÂ brief posting, I've come acrossÂ a lot ofÂ articles containing examples and suggestions forÂ using TwitterÂ in instructional applications.Â I've combed through many of these and tried to boil down the redundanciesÂ to create a rich set of idea-laden resources. While there's still going to be some overlap in the concepts presented in these articles, they clearly meet the goal of providing a thorough set of ideas and examples for leveraging Twitter in the educational process. (I follow this new listing with the original set of articles cited in my June â€™09 post).
- Here we have 25 Ways to Teach with TwitterÂ from Sonja Cole.
- Here's 10 great ideas on how to use Twitter in the classroom, from blogger Steve Wheeler.
- This extensive list provides 50 ways to use Twitter in the College Classroom.
- This Twitter for Academia post suggests 13 different ways to use Twitter in the classroom.
- Lastly, this PDF file discusses theÂ experience of teacher Ana Dominquez using Twitter in the Kindergarten classroom.
I also want to mentionÂ these 100 Serious Twitter Tips for Academics, which are worth reviewing to learn more and plan your approach to using Twitter in (and out of) the classroom.
HereÂ are the original “6 Examples” from last June's post:
- Iâ€™ll start by providing links to two articles (here is one,Â and here is the another),Â about teacher Monica Rankin using Twitter in instructional applicationÂ at the University of Texas at Dallas. These are a fewÂ of manyÂ stories about Professor Rankinâ€™s efforts (this highly covered case is what really triggered my perception that there were a lot of articles aboutÂ Twitter in the classroom in recent weeks).
- Here is a video about Twitter (and other technologies) being used at Roosevelt HS in Minneapolis.
- This article from The Chronicle of Higher Education discusses instructor Cole Campleseâ€™s use of Twitter, streaming Tweets from students on screen during lectures, as part of the instructional process.
- In thisÂ Vlog,Â Christine MorrisÂ explains how she experimented with the technology with her higher ed students, tapping into Tweetdeck to get the most out Twitter.
- In this blog posting, David Silver explains how Twitter replaced three other technologies he was using in the classroom.
- Last, but certainly not least,Â here is one of countless articles aboutÂ Professor David Parryâ€™s work with Twitter,Â from early 2008. This is the first Twitter in the classroom story that I came across and it has been discussed and posted about many times on the Internet.
In closing, I must thank the authorsÂ of the posts that I cite here -Â this article would obviously not exist without their previous hard work. I hope this posting raises awarenessÂ ofÂ their excellentÂ efforts.Â Â
Related posts (if the above topic is of interest, you might want to check these out):
10 internet technologies that educators should be informed about
Education Technology Twitter Post Weekly Summaries
6 Examples of Using Twitter in the Classroom